Over 175,000 people visit the historic home of Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Roosevelt Presidential Library each year. Dedicated by President Roosevelt in 1941, the Library was the Nation’s first Presidential Library. The Library was in need of a new Education and Conference Center that provided essential facilities that did not exist in the current facilities. This included handicapped accessible restrooms, an auditorium to screen an introductory film, space for orientation exhibits, and a museum store.
The client chose Heery to provide construction management services for the new Visitors’ Education and Conference Center. In addition to ensuring that the new center included the specified essential facilities, Heery also included spaces appropriate to a presidential library, facilities to host conferences and policy meetings, as well as classroom space. The facilities were equipped with state-of-the-art video and computer technology, complete with a satellite up-link for video conferencing and distance learning. Multi-purpose rooms in the new facility provide much-needed community meeting space for residents of the mid-Hudson Valley.
Part of the project also entailed renovation to the north wing of the original Roosevelt Library to create changing exhibits. The new gallery allows exploration of topical and timely issues related to the Roosevelts and the Presidency, shows more of the historical collections, and develops thematic educational programming related to the exhibits. The latter involves new community outreach designed to increase public participation in the site and increase economic activity from cultural tourism.
Key components of this project include the following:
Hyde Park, NY
10,000 SF renovation; 24,000 SF new construction
McGraw Hill New York Construction Award of Merit, 2014.