The Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, named in 1985 after Puerto Rico’s first democratically elected governor, opened in 1955 in the area known as Isla Verde in Carolina, Puerto Rico. It opened with one runway, the old tower, which today is on the top of the Airport Hotel, three terminals, and parking for 200 cars. In 1986 American Airlines along with another airline established a hub to compete with Eastern Air Lines.
Turner & Townsend Heery was selected to provide architecture and program management services for the expansion of the new $67 million, 220,000 SF Federal Inspection Services (FIS) terminal facility; as well as Concourse C, a $20 million, nine-gate facility; and alterations and modifications to the existing West Terminal. Additional work included the new American Eagle Administrative and operations offices and modifications to gates 1, 1A, 2, and 3, and improvements to the VIP Lounge, Admirals Club, and AA airport future ticket office as well as upgrades to provide passenger, airline, and airport staff with additional comfort and safety.
The expansion project involved more than 50 projects that were completed during a six-year period.